Daily Market Update: 9/13

September 13, 2022

BTC is currently trading around $21,200 and ETH around $1,600. Notable gainers in the last 24 hours are XRD, LTC, and HBAR. The global crypto market cap is $1.06T, down 5.2% over the last day. DeFi Total Value Locked is ~$76b and BTC dominance is around 41%.

Markets are falling sharply this morning behind a worse-than-expected inflation print in the U.S. Annual CPI in August came in at 8.3% versus market expectations of 8.1%. Global equities are down across the board, with the Nasdaq taking brunt of the move falling ~3.2%. Crypto is down ~5.2%, with higher volatility altcoins generally leading the drop. Global bonds followed suit, particularly U.S. Treasuries, as investors recalibrated their future rate hike expectations. Fed Funds futures are now pricing a ~19% chance of a 100-basis-point hike and a ~81% chance of a 75-basis-point hike. 

Notable news includes: the White House’s crypto mining report was claimed as a victory by both mining advocates and critics; El Salvador launched two debt repurchase offers amid uncertainty over its bitcoin bond; Abu Dhabi’s regulator introduced its ‘guiding principles’ for crypto; Russia’s PM directed the country’s financial regulators and other relevant authorities to “develop an agreed position for crypto regulations by Dec. 19th”; the Blockchain Association unveiled the BA PAC to support pro-crypto candidates from both U.S. parties; the Chamber of Digital Commerce urged the SEC to approve a spot bitcoin ETF; Linux launched a foundation to support the development of open source wallets; the Ethereum proof-of-work fork (ETHW) is expected to launch 24 hours after The Merge; Algorand admitted losing $35m in the Hodlnaut implosion; Algorand urged Helium developers to migrate to its platform instead of Solana; the Opera crypto browser integrated MetaMask; Bitcoin miner Poolin revealed plans to issue ‘IOU’ tokens after suspending withdrawals; Starbucks announced an NFT-based loyalty program in partnership with Polygon; CME Group launched its ETH futures options; Sweat Economy launched its token generation event; Northzone raised a 1b euro fund for fintech and web3 investments; KKR partnered with Securitize to make one of its private equity funds available on the Avalanche blockchain through a tokenized feeder fund; FTX-owned crypto fund, LedgerPrime, will return outside capital as it transitions to a family office structure; Hong Kong’s HashKey received approval to manage a portfolio comprised entirely of crypto; Stone Ridge approved plans to dissolve its Bitcoin Strategy Fund; NFT project Doodles announced a $54m capital raise to fund a hiring spree; crypto data infrastructure platform Goldsky raised a $20m seed round; and, the brother of a former Coinbase employee pleaded guilty to charges related to insider trading. 

Matt Kunke, Junior Strategist | TwitterTelegramLinkedIn
Brian Rudick, Senior Strategist | TelegramLinkedIn

This material is a product of the GSR Sales and Trading Department. It is not a product of a Research Department, not a research report, and not subject to all of the independence and disclosure standards applicable to research reports prepared pursuant to FINRA or CFTC research rules. This material is not independent of the Firm’s proprietary interests, which may conflict with your interests. The Firm trades instruments discussed in this material for its own account. The author may have consulted with the Firm’s traders and other personnel, who may have already traded based on the views expressed in this material, may trade contrary to the views expressed in this material, and may have positions in other instruments discussed herein. This material is intended only for institutional investors. Solely for purposes of the CFTC’s rules and to the extent this material discusses derivatives, this material is a solicitation for entering into a derivatives transaction and should not be considered to be a derivatives research report. This material is provided solely for informational purposes, is intended for your use only and does not constitute an offer or commitment, a solicitation of an offer or comment (except as noted for CFTC purposes), or any advice or recommendation, to enter into or conclude any transaction (whether on the indicative terms shown or otherwise), or to provide investment services in any state or country where such an offer or solicitation or provision would be illegal. Information is based on sources considered to be reliable, but not guaranteed to be accurate or complete. Any opinions or estimates expressed herein reflect a judgment made as of the date of publication, and are subject to change without notice. Trading and investing in digital assets involves significant risks including price volatility and illiquidity and may not be suitable for all investors. GSR will not be liable whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from the use of this Information. Copyright of this Information belongs to GSR. Neither this Information nor any copy thereof may be taken or rented or redistributed, directly or indirectly, without prior written permission of GSR. Not a solicitation to U.S. Entities or individuals for securities in any form. If you are such an entity, you must close this page.